Months ago my washing machine died. Can’t afford a new one so it’s the local laundromat for me. I checked around and found one that runs Clorox through all the machines every evening but this means I must be there on frozen mornings when it opens at 7:00 in order to get a stink free machine. People use all kinds of slinky fragrances in the wash but Fabreze is the worst offender. I am so puzzled about how so many millions love this product. It is toxic and lasts forever: you will never remove the odor from whatever it is sprayed on. It is designed that way and it also uses many toxic chemicals in its stinky formulas.
Chemicals found in Febreze Air Effects; following info copied from EWG report which states that if this many toxins are found in one fragrance it’s almost certain toxic horrors are found in other Febreze products.
• BHT – Known as a neurotoxin, endocrine disruptor, immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity, skin eye and lung irritator
• Acetaldehyde – Known to cause cancer, toxic to reproduction and development, immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin, skin, eye and lung irritator
• “Fragrance” – One of the three ingredients actually disclosed, it’s a neurotoxin, immunotoxin and allergen
• Propylene Glycol – Causes cancer, allergies, toxic to immune system, accumulates in the system, non-reproductive organ system toxin, is classified with “enhanced skin absorption” and irritates the skin, eye and lung
• 1,3-Dichloro-2-propanol – Carcinogenic (causes cancer)
• Limonene – Allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Methyl pyrrolidone – Toxin to reproduction and development, allergen and immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Alcohol denatured – Also disclosed in the ingredients of Febreze, it’s linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, organ system toxicity and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Butylphenyl methylpropion al – allergen, immunotoxin and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Ethyl acetate – linked to developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, organic system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Geraniol – Linked to allergies, immunotoxicity, organi system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritation
• Linalool – allergen, immunotoxin, and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Benzaldehyde – neurotoxin, and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether – non-reproductive organ system toxicity
• Ethylhezanol – developmental and reproductive toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• Hexyl cinnamal – allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
• And way too many more….
You can find the EWG’s full report on the dangers of Febreze and other common cleaners on line.